Monday, November 21, 2011
Potato and Leek Soup
There is something about cozying up on the couch with a hot bowl of delicious soup and comfy blanket and movie that you may or may not nap through. If you are looking for a vegetarian option but an absolutely harty and delicious soup, I reccomend Potato and Leek Soup. There is no cream and yet it is absolutely luxioursously creamy, there is no meet and yet it is a completely satisfying meal.
2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
2 large cleaned leeks
4-5 medium red potatoes
water to cover (or chicken stock if you are ok with it not being vegetarian)
salt and peper to taste
1. Clean and soak your leeks, be careful there is usually grit in the layers as they grown in sandy soil. Although, now Trader Joes is selling them already clean and cut in their frozen veg section.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large heavy bottomed pot, large enough to hold the soup.
3. Cook the leeks with salt and pepper until they turn translucent and begin to carmelize, cover with about a quart or so of water.
3. Wash and chop the potatoes. Don't bother to peel them if they are red or yukon gold.
4. Add the potatoes, partially cover and allow to simmer until the potatoes are fork tender.
5. When mushy and delicious, blitz in a blender or use a stick blender to make the soup smooth and creamy.
6. Taste to adjust seasoning, i.e. salt and pepper.
7. Enjoy in a mug, cozy and warm.
As always, much love, many blessings, and happy cooking.
- December (7)
- November (11)
- October (5)
- August (4)
- June (6)
- May (6)
- April (1)
- February (1)
- January (1)